Thursday, February 13, 2014
Strawberry Heart Cake
I've come to terms with the fact that there just isn't anything manly about Valentine's Day. Sure, they might sell giant gummy fish and Duck Dynasty Valentine cards now, but when you want to make your sweetie something yourself, it's pretty near impossible to have it represent both Valentine's Day and anything that isn't extremely girly.
So this year, I've decided to just embrace it.
I made this yummy Strawberry Cake with Marshmallow Crème Frosting. Is it manly? No. Did my man love it? Yes!
Strawberry Heart Cake with Marshmallow Crème Frosting
1 box Betty Crocker Strawberry Cake Mix
1 1/2 C Water
1/2 C Vegetable Oil
1/3 C Marshmallow Fluff
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine all ingredients and mix until well blended. Do not over beat.
3. Fill 4" round cake pans about 2/3 full.
4. With remaining batter, fill lined cupcake tins about 2/3 full.
4. Bake 4" cakes for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean, with just one or two crumbs. Bake cupcakes for 12-15 minutes.
5. Transfer cakes to wire rack to cool.
While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting.
Marshmallow Crème Frosting:
1 C Marshmallow Fluff
1/2 C Butter, softened
3 1/2 - 4 C Powdered Sugar
1-3 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine marshmallow fluff and butter. Whip for about 2 minutes, pausing to scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically.
2. 1 Cup at a time, add powdered sugar. Beat until combined after each addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl before adding more.
3. When powdered sugar is all mixed in, add the cream, 1 tbsp. at a time, until desired consistency is reached. If you will be piping, leave the frosting on the thicker side.
1. Level cakes with a bread knife or cake leveler.
2. Assemble the cake by placing one cake layer on a cake stand, then a layer of frosting, then cake, etc. Until all cake layers have been stacked.
3. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
4. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter as a guide, add sprinkles in the shape of a heart to the top of the cake.